The Marstons Mills Public Library was founded on
August 22, 1891 when 15 village residents met at Liberty Hall and formed
the Marstons Mills Library Association. Mrs. Hattie Mecarta was elected
librarian, and all association members agreed to pay 25 cents in annual
This first library in Marstons Mills consisted of
a book case of seven shelves, housed in the local Post Office. In 1893,
Mr. Robinson Weeks donated the piece of land adjacent to the Liberty
Hall that would become the home of the Marstons Mills Public Library.
The Library Association held various benefits to raise money for the
building, and in 1894 the Library opened its doors in its present location.
The cost of the original building: $425!
The first librarians received no salary for their
work at the Library. One of their primary functions was to arrive before
Library hours and to build a fire to warm the building. They were also
charged with the responsibility of supervising the fire, so that any
escaping sparks were snuffed out before they could damage the books
or the building!
Early patrons were allowed to borrow only ONE book
at a time. This made sense when the library only had a few hundred books
and when the librarians recorded every transaction by hand. Overdue
fines were 1¢ per day; we've only increased it by 9 ¢ in over a century!
Today, the Marstons Mills Public Library has over
21,000 items and each year more than 40,000 books, CDs, movies and
other items are checked out by our patrons. The CLAMS computer system
tracks library circulation and assists the librarians in obtaining books
and materials from all over Cape Cod and beyond.
As we enter a new century, we look forward to continuing to expand
our services to the residents of Marstons Mills. Please stop by the Library and look at the newest renovations, including our fantastic new Children's Room and Adult Reading Room.